Sunday, 10 August 2014

Why Ruby?

More respect for blog writers, a blank screen is quite a challenge and all the ideas that you once had fly out of your head.

One has stuck and it is a good place to start.

If you have ever lived with a name you dislike you may have some idea how hard it is for someone transsexual to live their lives with not only a name they dislike but one which gives completely the wrong message about who they really are.

 have to put my hand up and admit that I have not passed on any of my DNA, not to pass it on was my principle mission in life incase there was a genetic component to being transsexual. Being unattractive to women and very low paid helped...

People are always surprised at how well I get on with children and am prepared to give them all the attention they want, then again I can hand them back when they decide that they have had enough psychological probing. Strange that when I had a beard it was assumed that I would have no interest in looking after children and would be ignored.

The hardest part about having a child I thought would be the naming. Not so long ago many used long held traditional methods of naming children after grand parent or used family names, now any name or spelling goes. How do you choose a name which will suit both the young child and also not become an embarrassment in later life? I have long thought that parents should give temporary names which at a certain age the child could choose to keep or change to something more suited to their evolving personality.

We are uniquely lucky in getting to choose our own names and few can be offended that we do so. Some family bemires can be the last to come onside after knowing the old you for so long but the joy of hearing that new name from the lips of a loved one is hard to describe.

Obviously Ruby was not my original name but I think it suits me well.

Rubies are precious, simply created out of ordinary materials, aluminium and oxygen, but co closely packed as to be nearly as hard as diamond. All naturally occurring  rubies have imperfections but uniquely that is what gives them their real beauty. Not all rubies are naturally occurring some only appear by human intervention and they sparkle more!

A warm red gem created with human intervention, cut and polished to bring out my beauty, that's me.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more about the importance of careful thought when choosing a name, whether it be for your children (we have two) or your own. I love that "A warm red gem created with human intervention, cut and polished to bring out my beauty". Perfect!

    Welcome to the blogging world. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

    ReplyDelete